Thursday 21 June 2012

Rocket, Pepper and Herb Pasta!

A simple 'un. I did this one because my original pizza-themed dinner plans failed. So I just went for something straightforward that was quick and delicious. You don't need many ingredients or much time; it takes as long as it takes pasta to cook.



Ingredients:
  • 75g* pasta (pick a shape, any shape. I had penne)
  • Tomato puree
  • Handful of rocket leaves
  • Half a medium orange** pepper
  • Handful of sesame/pumpkin seeds
  • Pinch of oregano
  • Grated cheese to garnish
How to:
  1. Boil some water in a medium saucepan. Water should be lightly salted/contain a drizzle of olive oil. Either or, not both.
  2. When water comes to the boil, lob in your pasta and simmer on a medium heat for about 10-13 minutes. You can always do the texture test to see if its cooked; stab a piece of pasta with a fork, run it under the cold tap and then eat and judge to your personal standard how well its cooked.
  3. While the pasta cooks, dice up the pepper half into medium sized pieces, maybe 1cm squared. 
  4. When the pasta is cooked, turn the hob heat down (but not off), drain the water (leaving a very small amount still in the pan) and return it to the hob.
  5. Quickly squirt in a good amount of tomato puree, then add the rocket, pepper, seeds and oregano. Mix it all in together, stir it round making sure everything's coated in the puree, and serve. Sprinkle your cheese of choice on top - cheddar, parmesan (which is actually non-veggie, so I'll stick to cheddar)...
You could replace the seeds with lightly toasted pine nuts, which are delicious. Just get some and stick them under the grill until they are lightly browned. 

*As with the quinoa in my last recipe, amounts here are largely guesstimated. This is for one person, but I always do more for a single portion because I'm a greedy bugger growing boy.
**Quite a lot of my cooking is often based on colour - I like making things purdy if I can. Peppers do vary in taste, but orange worked well here. Yellow, for colour and taste, would also work.

No comments:

Post a Comment